Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ten-man Wednesday held by City

3 April 2017

Ten-man Wednesday were held to a 0-0 draw hosting Bristol City to remain second in the table on the home straight. 

The Owls posted a positive performance despite losing goalkeeper Arijus Brazinkas to a red card just eight minutes into a game the visitors started on the front foot.

Ricardo Rees crossed for Cam Allen, who headed just wide of the target before Brazinkas was giving his marching orders after handling outside the box.

Striker Alex Hunt was sacrificed, replaced by shot-stopper Joe Walker as the Owls sought to combat the early blow. 

Walker was called into action inside a minute, making a superb save to tip a Rees free kick onto the crossbar. 

Wednesday immediately surged for the opener as Joe Cook's low cross was cleared by James Morton as Lewis Price was lurking with intent to pounce. 

In a flurry of chances for City, Tom Richards got on the end of a corner unmarked but fired over the top before play went to the other end with a sweeping Price cross just sailing over the head of Liam Waldock at the back post.

The visitors were inches away from taking the lead on 42 minutes when Zac Smith flashed a low shot just wide of the post after a swift counter.

The Owls started the second half well, creating their first opportunity inside a minute of the restart when Fraser Preston crossed for Ciaran Brennan but his header flashed wide.

City goalkeeper Alhaji Sesay was then called into action, making a fantastic stop to deny Liam Williams as he latched onto a Waldock free kick.

It was the ten men who were pressing for the lead as Preston went one on one with Sesay but the keeper came good, claiming the ball at the winger’s feet.

Bulgarian Preslav Borukov thought he had won it for Wednesday as he fired over when the impressive Sesay spilled a free kick from Waldock but the Robins responded with Smith crashing a set piece against the crossbar with the last kick of the game.

Advertisement block