Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Owls 2-1 Millwall

22 August 2018

The Owls posted their first league win of the new season, beating Millwall by the odd goal in three on Wednesday night.

The hosts grafted for the points too and were worthy winners, with goals either side of the break from Barry Bannan and Tom Lees delivering the goods.

The Londoners hit back through Ryan Tunnicliffe but the incline was too steep and Wednesday emerged triumphant.

Jos Luhukay rang the changes at Hillsborough following the weekend defeat at Brentford, handing full senior debuts to academy graduates Matt Penney and Fraser Preston.

Both youngsters made encouraging starts, as did the Owls on a whole. Playing neat possession football, Wednesday took the game to Millwall and deservedly took the lead on 16 minutes.

Adam Reach, back after missing out on the Bees clash through injury, found Bannan on the edge of the box and the Scot dispatched a stunning volley into the roof of the net.

The goal only increased Wednesday’s confidence and by and large they kept the Lions on the back foot.

Bannan had another fierce drive deflected wide before Millwall forged a rare counter that ended with Jed Wallace dragging past the post from distance.

Jake Cooper nodded a first half stoppage corner wide but a leveller then would have been harsh on the Owls, who came close to extending their advantage on the whistle when Jordan Thorniley’s header narrowly missed the target.

But just a minute into the second half, the Owls did double their lead. Bannan’s feed evaded the Millwall defence and fell to Lees at the back stick, who finished with some aplomb.

The visitors made a double substitution on the hour and did look more lively in the final third.

Wednesday countered with a double change of their own up front but the visitors halved the deficit before either Fernando Forestieri or Atdhe Nuhiu could make an impact.

Lee Gregory found space down the left channel and looked up to find the advancing Tunnicliffe, who side-footed past Cameron Dawson.

James Meredith fired narrowly over the bar moments later as the Owls were under the cosh towards the closing stages.

But Wednesday re-grouped, the pressure subsided and they almost made the points safe with three minutes to go when Nuhiu stabbed a half chance wide.

The earlier damage was sufficient, though, and the relief was palpable in S6 when the maiden win was confirmed.

Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Lees, Thorniley, Penney, Preston (Boyd 78), Bannan, Pelupessy, Reach, Matias (Forestieri 69), Fletcher (Nuhiu 69)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account