Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rovers 4-2 Owls

1 December 2018

Match Reports

Report: Rovers 4-2 Owls

1 December 2018

A Danny Graham hat-trick and a Bradley Dack strike gave Blackburn the points against Wednesday at Ewood Park.

Lucas Joao scored a blistering effort and a David Raya own goal offered glimmers of hope for the Owls but the home side were too strong where it mattered to take the points.

Indeed it was a measured Rovers performance and from the first whistle, they were in control.

The ball was in the back of the net inside just five minutes but the referee blew for an infringement that spared the visitors the worst possible start.

Three minutes later, Rovers went close again when Harrison Reed was unmarked at the back post but his shot across Cameron Dawson flew wide.

But Blackburn were not to be denied and took the lead on ten minutes.

Dack forced a fine save from the diving Dawson but Graham was right on the spot to slam home from ten yards.

Wednesday did settle into the game thereafter, making their mark with possession if not by creating opportunities in the final third.

And it was the home side that threatened next when they should have doubled their lead just before the break.

Craig Conway picked out the advancing Dack, who fired high into the crowd with the goal at his mercy.

The Owls made a double change for the second half, introducing Fernando Forestieri and Atdhe Nuhiu from the bench.

But Rovers came out of the traps apace and Dawson had to be alert to deny Derrick Williams from a Conway corner.

Wednesday hit back with Adam Reach twice thwarted by some dogged defending as the contest grew into an open affair.

But on 53 minutes it was further from the Owls’ reach as a sweeping move saw Blackburn turn the screw.

Paul Downing advanced menacingly upfield to feed Graham down the right, whose pinpoint cross was converted by Dack at the back stick.

Wednesday, though, struck on the hour with the goal of the game to halve the arrears.

Little seemed on for Joao 30 yards out but the Portuguese promptly unleashed an unstoppable drive that flew in off the underside of the crossbar.

But on 65 minutes, the Owls’ hopes of completing a comeback were all but extinguished.

Rovers countered swiftly and after Dack’s low shot struck the post, Graham was on hand to extend his side’s lead.

Dawson prevented a fourth from Conway with an athletic save before Wednesday showed another spark five minutes from time.

Barry Bannan jinked his way into the box and chipped over Raya to hit the post but the keeper could only palm the rebound into his own net under pressure from the Scot.

The Owls powered forward in search of an equaliser but Rovers duly took advantage of the open spaces, leaving Graham to complete his treble from close range a minute from time.

Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Lees, Hector, Thorniley, Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach, Matias (Forestieri 46 (Onamah 90), Joao, Fletcher (Nuhiu 46)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account