Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bristol City 1-2 Owls

7 October 2018

Match Reports

Report: Bristol City 1-2 Owls

7 October 2018

Lucas Joao climbed off the bench to deliver a double blow to Bristol City as the Owls won 2-1 at Ashton Gate.

The hitman came on early in the first half but it was during the second that he did the damage, scoring two quickfire goals to extend Wednesday’s recent run of resistance.

Matty Taylor halved the deficit with a late penalty but Joao’s brace was enough to win the points.

It’s now just one defeat in nine for Jos Luhukay’s men, who head into the international break in the coveted Championship top six.

Right from the start, an open encounter unfolded in the Bristol sunshine, and both sides had good opportunities.

The first went Wednesday’s way when a probing Barry Bannan ball over the top was controlled by Adam Reach heading into the area but keeper Niki Maenpaa dashed off his line to deal with the danger.

That triggered a mini swamp from City on the Owls’ goal and twice they could have taken the lead in as many minutes.

Famara Diedhiou found himself completely alone eight yards out but Cameron Dawson denied the Senegal striker with a fabulous save.

Then moments later Dawson was beaten by Lloyd Kelly’s angled hit but this time the far post came to Wednesday’s rescue.

The visitors suffered a blow when Steven Fletcher limped off before the contest settled into more of a cagey affair, with nothing created at either end until Jamie Paterson warmed the gloves of Dawson from distance just past the half-hour mark.

But it was Wednesday that went the closest before the break – first when Reach tried a trademark long ranger that Maenpaa deflected wide, then Joao missed his header by a whisker from the resulting corner.

The Owls started the second period well and Bannan forced Maenpaa into action from a clever chipped effort.

Josh Brownhill skewed wide for City before Daniel Pudil prevented an almost certain goal with a key interception from a Jay Dasilva cross.

And that proved vital as Wednesday countered and struck twice to stun the Robins.

On 64 minutes, Bannan’s cross-field ball was well taken by Joao and the Portuguese outmuscled Nathan Baker to slot home.

And City barely had time to regroup before they were 2-0 down. Josh Onomah played a neat pass to Joao, who sidestepped one challenge and smashed hard and low past Maenpaa.

It could have been 3-0 15 minutes from time when Michael Hector slipped at the vital moment just as he was about to pull the trigger.

The Robins motored upfield and substitute Callum O’Dowda went mighty close with a snapshot that whistled over the bar but the same player won a penalty three minutes later.

Onomah was adjudged to have fouled the Irishman and Taylor despatched straight down the middle from the spot.

That created a nervy end to the game from those of a blue and white persuasion but despite being under the cosh for the remaining few minutes, the Owls held firm to continue their climb up the table.

Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Lees, Hector, Pudil, Thorniley (Forestieri 58), Penney, Onomah, Bannan (Pelupessy 80), Reach, Fletcher (Joao 17)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account