Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 2-0 Barnsley

10 August 2019

Kadeem Harris turned in a man of the match performance but it was fellow new recruit Jacob Murphy who was equally instrumental in putting local rivals Barnsley to the sword.

Murphy was off to a flier at Hillsborough, scoring on his debut after two minutes and the driving force behind Steven Fletcher’s second as Wednesday won 2-0.

The victory extends the Owls’ 100% start to the season and they were made to work hard for the points by an industrious Tykes team.

But Wednesday’s quality told and not least that shown by Harris, who gave the Reds’ rearguard a torrid time throughout.

Murphy was a real thorn in the side and played a key part as the Owls were off to the best possible start.

Harris’ close range shot was blocked and the ball fell perfectly for Murphy to confidently slide beyond Samuel Radlinger from ten yards.


Murphy curled a free kick wide ten minutes later before the Tykes had their first sight of goal but Luke Thomas sent his low shot on the angle wide.

Play was soon back to the other end, where Harris was causing all kinds of problems.

Twice the former Cardiff man cut in from the left and shot from distance only to narrowly miss the target.

Julian Borner headed an Adam Reach cross into the grateful arms of Radlinger before the keeper thwarted Reach, darting off his line to block following good work from Fletcher.

Harris threatened again five minutes before the break but Toby Sibbick did well to deny the wideman another shot from just inside the area.

Barnsley broke and had their best chance of the first half when Mallik Wilks dragged a daisycutter inches past the post and they went closer still almost on the whistle but Cameron Dawson pulled off a stunning point-blank save to keep out Cauley Woodrow.

Murphy saw a penalty claim waved away after a strong Mads Andersen challenge moments into the second period and the hosts really started to apply the pressure but were almost caught cold when Alex Mowatt had a clear chance but sliced high and wide.


And Barnsley were made to pay for that profligacy as the Owls doubled their lead on the hour.

Murphy made a superb run down the channel, taking on and beating two defenders before laying the ball to Kieran Lee, who in turn fed Fletcher, whose hit from 25 yards was true into the bottom corner.

Barnsley were still in the game, though, as was evidenced on 68 minutes when Borner was in the right place at the right time to hoof a Mamadou Thiam effort off the line.

Wednesday responded with Fletcher sending a set piece fizzing past the upright as the hosts sought to put the game to bed.

And they nearly did exactly that 10 minutes from time when substitute Massimo Luongo burst in on goal but Radlinger saved well at his near post.

The Barnsley custodian stopped a Sam Hutchinson drive seconds later but it mattered not as Wednesday comfortably saw out the contest to take the derby honours.

Wednesday: Dawson, Odubajo, Lees, Borner, Palmer, Reach, Hutchinson, Lee (Luongo 80), Murphy (Pelupessy 73), Harris, Fletcher (Rhodes 77)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account