Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Brighton 0-1 Wednesday

4 January 2020

Match Reports

Report: Brighton 0-1 Wednesday

4 January 2020

Wednesday posted a hugely impressive performance and result to advance from the FA Cup third round at Premier League Brighton.

Adam Reach scored the only goal of the game to give the Owls a fully deserved passage as they more than matched their top flight opponents.

From front to back, Garry Monk’s men were on point and the only downside of a productive afternoon was an injury to leading scorer Steven Fletcher, who was stretchered off at the Amex.

Monk must now wait for the verdict on his talisman striker.

Wednesday were first to show when Reach burst down the left flank and pulled back for Jacob Murphy and the winger fired narrowly over the bar.

Brighton went close themselves in response, with a Gaetan Bong looped header forcing a save from Cameron Dawson.


The hosts then almost went one better through Neil Maupay, who took the ball around the advancing Dawson outside the box Dominic Iorfa saved the day with a perfectly timed challenge.

The Owls’ backline, including young debutant Osaze Urhoghide at right back, was resolute, limiting Brighton to a dearth of chances.

When they did find a way through, Dawson thwarted the dangerous-looking Maupay on the half-hour mark with a diving block.

And that was so nearly the foundation for a half time lead. Fletcher picked the pocket of Leon Balogun on the edge of the area and executed a thunderous drive only for David Button to pull a stunning save from the top drawer.

But that proved the last of the action for Fletcher, who went down with what appeared a knee injury and was carried off as a result.

It was a big blow for the Owls to lose their leading scorer and it came after an encouraging start from the restart.


The visitors continued to push forward, though, and Reach almost caught Button napping with a snapshot from the flank but the keeper scampered across his line to scoop clear at the last.

But on 65 minutes, Wednesday made their dominance count. A cleverly worked set piece concluded with Reach hitting hard and low into the net with the aid of a slight deflection.

The goal forced Brighton forward as they sought a route back into the tie and Maupay glanced a header wide before substitute Alireza Jahanbakhsh was just off target with a spectacular overhead kick.

But the Owls were in no mood to give up their advantage and saw out the game with some aplomb to enter the hat for Monday’s fourth round draw.

Wednesday: Dawson, Urhoghide, Iorfa, Börner, Fox, Murphy (Harris 71), Pelupessy, Lee, Luongo, Reach (Lees 90), Fletcher (Winnall 55)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account