Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Young Owls suffer derby defeat

21 January 2020

The Under-18s played their second Yorkshire derby of January on Tuesday afternoon and went down 4-0 at Sheffield United.

It was only the second league game since 7 December for Wednesday due to the festive break and FA Youth Cup commitments as they followed their draw with Hull at the weekend with a disappointing defeat.

The match was delayed by an hour pending a second pitch inspection due to the frosty conditions at Shirecliffe but that didn’t seem to affect Wednesday who started the brighter.

Paulo Aguas battled past two challenges but his shot was well saved by Sam Kelly.

United, though, took the lead on 11 minutes from a set piece when Leo Gaxha’s corner was only half cleared and the ball fell kindly to Daniel Gayle-Jebbison who made it 1:0.

And on the 30-minute mark, the Owls’ encouraging start had counted for little as the Blades doubled their advantage.

The hosts won another corner that was flicked into the path of Kyron Gordon and the defender gave United a firm grip on the game.

Wednesday responded positively, with Alex Bonnington going close from a shot on the turn and L’Varn Brandy fired dangerously across goal.

But just before half time, Luke Cox’s sliding tackle on L:eo Gaxha was deemed a penalty and Gaxha picked himself up to dispatch from 12 yards to complete a miserable first half for the visitors.

The Owls started the second period with more gusto and Bonnington’s curling effort drew a diving save from Kelly.

Bonnington, Brandy and Aguas asked questions of the United defence as Wednesday continued to force the pressure but it was game over just past the hour when Harry Boyes slipped in Gaxha to place beyond Luke Jackson and apply the final coating of gloss.

Wednesday: Jackson, Farmer, Thompson, Cox, Ellery, Kenyon, Reaney, Brandy (Zottos 61), Hall (Glover 55), Aguas, Bonnington (Vasalo 78)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account