Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bristol City 1-2 Wednesday

28 June 2020

Goals either side of half time from Connor Wickham and Massimo Luongo ensured a welcome win at Bristol City on Sunday.

Victory was well deserved too as Garry Monk’s men absorbed most of what the Robins could muster up front while showing a far more ruthless nature themselves.

Indeed, the Owls impressed in all areas to continue their much-improved pedigree since the Championship resumption.

Nahki Wells did halve the deficit but that was as good as it got for City, who suffered their second successive defeat.

A lively start in the Ashton Gate sun saw a flurry of corners at either end, one of which almost spawned the opening goal.


Jay Dasilva picked out Nathan Baker at the back post and the defender’s powerful header was arrowing towards the Owls' goal before Joe Wildsmith saved acrobatically.

Another corner followed, this time for the Owls, and this time they took the lead on 13 minutes.

Jacob Murphy’s delivery was accurate and the unmarked Wickham glanced emphatically past Niki Maenpaa.

The contest settled into an even affair following Wickham’s strike, with much of the possession in the middle of the park.

Ex-Owls loanee Benik Afobe looked threatening for the hosts but was marshalled well by a stern Wednesday backline.


Chances were at a premium overall and the dying embers of the first half saw a rare opportunity from close range that Jordan Rhodes hit at Maenpaa, who parried wide.

The Owls started the second period in the box seat, with Kadeem Harris sending a sighter that just curled past the far post.

City responded swiftly, though, and a superbly timed block tackle from Liam Palmer thwarted Wells as the hitman pulled the trigger.

Back the ball went to the other and Maenpaa had to be alert to stretch and deny Murphy who chanced his arm from distance.

But the Owls pressed and promptly doubled their lead on the hour. Murphy’s corner caused problems in the area and Luongo spun on his heels to sweep past Maenpaa.


Wickham could have made the game safe immediately after the restart but scuffed a Luongo feed wide and Wednesday were made to pay on 69 minutes.

Wildsmith did exceptionally well to keep out a thumping Baker header but could do nothing to prevent Wells nodding home the rebound.

The Owls introduced three substitutions to steady the ship and the move had the desired effect as City struggled to build on their goal.

Wednesday forced the hosts back to dictated play through the closing stages – City were left frustrated as the Owls posted three merited points.

Wednesday: Wildsmith, Iorfa, Börner (Fox 46), Palmer, Murphy (Odubajo 75), Bannan, Lee, Luongo (Pelupessy 75), Harris, Wickham (Nuhiu 82), Rhodes (Da Cruz 61)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account