Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 1-1 QPR

3 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 1-1 QPR

3 October 2020

A second half own goal by Yoann Barbet appeared to give Wednesday a valuable win against QPR at Hillsborough – before substitute Macauley Bonne salvaged a point deep into stoppage time.

Both sides hit the woodwork and both would argue their case for the points but Barbet managed to reverse his fortune as his cross fed debutant Bonne for the equaliser.

Right throughout the contest until the very end, Rangers could not penetrate Wednesday’s defence that suffered a blow when Liam Shaw succumbed to injury in just the third minute.

Liam Palmer made a far swifter introduction than anticipated although he too would pick up a knock that dictated an exit at half time.

The contest developed into an even affair in driving S6 rain, with chances at a premium.


Barbet miscued on the volley from a corner, which represented the best opening of the early exchanges at both ends.

Then from the other side of the park 35 minutes in, another corner caused problems in the Owls’ backline and QPR came within a lick of paint of the lead.

Ilais Chair’s delivery was menacing and skipper Geoff Cameron flicked onto the inside of the post before the ball rolled into the grateful arms of Cameron Dawson.

New recruit Callum Paterson had a snapshot on the turn deflected wide as Wednesday sought the opener and moments before half time Josh Windass was sent clear by Adam Reach but Rob Dickie recovered well to block.

When Palmer failed to emerge for the second half it may have been seen as one of those days for Wednesday but they pressed on in pursuit of the breakthrough.


Barry Bannan forced Seny Dieng into a near post save as Garry Monk’s men were brighter after the break, and they got their reward on 55 minutes.

Bannan opened up the R’s rearguard with a fine ball to Reach, whose low feed was poked into his own goal by the unfortunate Barbet.

Provider Reach turned hunter on the hour with his side’s tails up, firing a fierce volley goalwards from a Kadeem Harris cross that Dieng did well to parry.

But the Londoners refused to buckle and committed bodies forward in pursuit of an equaliser. Tom Lees and Joost van Aken made crucial stops in the box before Wednesday broke and Massimo Luongo crashed against the crossbar with five minutes to go.

A second goal would have been decisive but as events transpired, Luongo’s hit was a mini turning point.

The R’s headed back upfield and Bonne made an immediate impact for his new employers with a late, late leveller from Barbet’s deep cross.

Wednesday: Dawson, Shaw (Palmer 3, Odubajo 46), Lees, van Aken, Harris, Reach, Bannan, Dele-Bashiru (Pelupessy 69), Luongo, Paterson, Windass

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account