Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 1-1 Bristol City

17 April 2021

Wednesday were dealt another devastating blow to their Championship survival hopes as 10-man Bristol City scored a last-gasp leveller to secure an unlikely draw at Hillsborough.

Julian Börner’s early strike was heading to be the only goal of a one-sided game that the Owls controlled from start to finish, even without the dismissal of Henri Lansbury in the first half for deliberate handball on the goal line.

Barry Bannan saw the resulting penalty saved by Daniel Bentley and the hosts were made to pay as Tyreeq Bakinson struck with three minutes to go.

Wednesday were off to the perfect start in the afternoon sun, taking the lead inside six minutes. Bannan’s corner dipped to the back post, where Josh Windass fired back across goal for Börner to finish from close range.


That gave the Owls a strong foundation - they might have been out of sight by half time - although City did rally in an instant, with Famara Diedhiou testing Keiren Westwood from the edge of the box.

From there, though, Wednesday swiftly regrouped, bossed possession and asked all the questions.

And on 22 minutes, they were given a golden opportunity to double the lead from the spot.

The Robins were reduced to 10 men to boot as Lansbury was adjudged to have used a hand to divert Callum Paterson’s shot over and saw red.


But keeper Bentley ensured his side stayed in the game with a low, diving save from Bannan’s penalty.

Bannan almost made amends moments after the restart, slaloming his way past two defenders to face Bentley on the angle but the shot was planted narrowly wide.

Bannan was again the architect as just a lick of paint stood between Wednesday and a 2-0 lead, the Scot delivering a delicious cross to the far post, where the advancing Liam Palmer got a good connection on the volley but slammed against the crossbar.

Josh Windass drilled past the post and then brushed the top of the net five minutes before the end of a first half the Owls completely dominated.


The challenge was to maintain similar levels in the second period and they frustrated City by keeping the ball for extended periods.

The Robins made a triple change to alter the flow of the game but still the visitors struggled to get a foothold.

The offensive play was all the Owls and Bentley was off his line sharply to deny Kadeem Harris before Joey Pelupessy had a fierce drive from distance charged down.

City were pinned into their own half and when they did venture forward, the blue and white line ahead was resolute.


Bannan curled wide after ghosting into the area from the right and with the minutes passing by, Wednesday had to see the game out.

But with three minutes to go they were hit on the counter as the Robins levelled from a rare move into the final third as Bakinson span to fire an equaliser from 20 yards.

Wednesday: Westwood, Palmer, Hutchinson (Kachunga 90), Lees, Börner, Reach, Bannan, Pelupessy, Harris (Green 72), Windass, Paterson (Rhodes 72)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account