Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 2-1 MK Dons

23 November 2021

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 2-1 MK Dons

23 November 2021

Wednesday came from behind in dramatic style to beat MK Dons and banish an unwanted statistic along the way.

Almost two years have passed since the Owls have fought back from a deficit to post three points.

But a ‘Roy of the Rovers’ intervention from Josh Windass ensured his side did exactly that.


Trailing to a wonder goal from Scott Twine, Wednesday introduced Windass from the bench for his first appearance of the season following a summer injury.

And Windass showed just how much he has missed the action and his team have missed him with an assist followed by a stoppage time winner.

Twine’s world-class strike put the Dons in front completely against the run of play but Lee Gregory levelled with seven minutes to go before the finale from Windass.


Victory was no more than the Owls deserved as time and again they poured forward in a one-sided contest that took time to find its rhythm but when it did, the hosts had the upper hand.

This despite MK having the first sight of goal when Twine latched on to a long ball from the back but fluffed his lines which prompted waves of pressure at the other end.

Andrew Fisher was twice called into diving action by a Barry Bannan long ranger and Chey Dunkley’s header from the resulting corner which the keeper tipped over the bar.


Ciaran Brennan had the ball in the net moments later from another set piece but play was pulled back for an infringement in the box to deny the youngster a maiden goal.

The Dons had a rare foray upfield that might have paid dividends as Warren O’Hora dragged wide but back came Wednesday and Florian Kamberi glanced a George Byers cross narrowly off target.

A combination of Fisher and O’Hora on the line kept Dunkley at bay from successive corners as the big defender seemed on a one-man mission to score but he and the Owls had to be content with a goalless scoreline at the break.

That changed, though, just two minutes into the second half – only for the goal to go the way of MK. Little seemed on for the advancing Twine 25 yards out but the visitors’ leading scorer looked up to unleash an unstoppable hit that whistled into the top corner.


Windass made a welcome return to action from the bench as Wednesday sought an equaliser – and it was a lick of paint away on the hour mark.

O’Hora and Fisher collided on the edge of the box dealing with a long Bailey Peacock-Farrell punt and Jack Hunt nipped in but struck the far post from the tightest of angles.

The ball ricoched into the path of Gregory who tumbled under a challenge from Aden Baldwin but the penalty claims were waved away.


The traffic was one-way, with the Dons deploying a rigid backline to protect an advantage threatened by that man Dunkley, who was denied at the back stick by Dean Lewington.

Gregory was then inches away from a key connection on Saido Berahino’s low feed and the closing stages were all Wednesday.

A goal was coming and duly arrived on 83 minutes. Windass whipped in a delicious corner and Gregory leapt to send a powerful header beyond Fisher into the roof of the net.


The Owls were far from satisfied with a point and motored forward in pursuit of the winner. And Windass made sure that one point was turned into three in injury time as the returning hitman buried a rasping drive beyond the flat-footed Fisher at the second attempt to seal victory.

Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell, Palmer, Dunkley, Brennan, Hunt, Bannan, Dele-Bashiru (Berahino 72), Byers (Luongo 54), Corbeanu, Kamberi (Windass 64), Gregory

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account