Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood 2-3 Wednesday

26 April 2022

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood 2-3 Wednesday

26 April 2022

The Owls came from 2-1 down to beat Fleetwood 3-2 at Highbury Stadium, with hat-trick hero Lee Gregory taking the plaudits.

The in-form striker stole the show in Lancashire to aid Wednesday’s hunt for a play-off place with just one game to go.

Gregory opened the scoring early in the first half before goals from Callum Camps and Joe Garner sent the Cod Army into the break in front.

But a double salvo from the Owls’ top goalscorer sent Wednesdayites into raptures and back to S6 in the best of spirits.


The visitors started brightly and just three minutes into the game Jack Hunt curled a long ball forward to Gregory who turned his marker before slotting past Alex Cairns.

Moments later George Byers took aim from the edge of the area, but his strike sliced wide of the near post.

Gregory had a chance to double his tally when Liam Palmer squared in the area, but his tame left- footed shot was blocked.

Wednesday were dominant and Callum Paterson was just a couple of yards short of meeting a low Marvin Johnson feed that whistled across Cairns’ box.


But despite the Owls’ superiority, Fleetwood levelled on 18 minutes.

Camps picked the ball up on the edge of the box following a defensive lapse and fired low into the corner to restore parity.

Things got better for the home side on 33 minutes, when they took the lead through Garner.

It was the goalscorer himself who won a free kick on the right flank, which Dan Batty whipped in to find the head of the onrushing striker before smashing into the back of the net.


Wednesday went straight up the other end where Barry Bannan’s stunning attempt to lob Cairns almost found the top corner, but the chip hit the post before Paterson’s follow up was cleared off the line by Tom Clarke.

The half time whistle blew with Wednesday ruing their missed opportunities in the game’s early throes.

The second half was a much scrappier affair with chances for both sides at a premium.

Substitute Josh Windass had a shot on goal with his first touch of the ball, but his sidefooted attempt flew over the crossbar.


Bannan had a low shot saved by Cairns moments later as the Owls searched for a way back into the game.

Then, in the space of two minutes, the contest turned on its head.

First, Massimo Luongo crossed for Gregory, who nodded home from close range to level proceedings.

And it was the Owls’ number nine who sent the travelling support from Sheffield wild when he fired in a low shot from the edge of the box to put Darren Moore’s men in charge once more.

Wednesday maintained composure after going in front and comfortably saw out a result that means a play-off place is in our hands ahead of Saturday’s league finale against Portsmouth at a sell-out Hillsborough.

Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell, Palmer, Storey, Hutchinson, Hunt, Byers (Mendez-Laing 62), Luongo, Bannan, Johnson (Windass 62), Paterson, Gregory (Dunkley 89)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account