Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 5-0 Forest Green

27 August 2022

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 5-0 Forest Green

27 August 2022

A scintillating first half performance from Wednesday swept aside newly promoted Forest Green at Hillsborough.

After Josh Windass opened the scoring, the floodgates swung open and the Owls waded in, with Liam Palmer, Barry Bannan and Lee Gregory also on the scoresheet before the break.

A Dominic Barnard own goal early in the second period underlined a day to forget for Rovers, who were simply overwhelmed by the freescoring hosts.


It was all Wednesday from the first whistle and the immediate task facing Forest Green was stemming the tide of blue and white but the pressure proved too much 12 minutes in.

Marvin Johnson played a fine ball down the left to Bannan, who passed across the box for Palmer and his shot was cleared off the line by Baily Cargill – but straight into the path of Windass to slam into the back of the net.

Seven minutes later, Windass turned provider with an exquisite diagonal pass that Bannan controlled before clipping cleverly past Luke McGee and in.


Rovers were overrun as the Owls looked a threat from every attack. And on 31 minutes, the Gloucestershire side’s defence was breached for a third time.

Bannan turned provider this time, executing a sublime free kick from 50 yards right into the path of Palmer, who scored his second goal in as many games at the second attempt after McGee parried the first effort.

Michael Ihiekwe headed a Windass corner just over the top before half time and 4-0 at the interval would not have flattered Wednesday.


And that it was on 44 minutes. Bannan motored forward, leaving two defenders in his wake and found a gap in a congested area to find Gregory, whose finish was emphatic from 15 yards.

Still there was time in a one-sided first half for George Byers to hit the post before the referee sounded a welcome whistle for the beleaguered visitors.

With the game out of sight, damage limitation was the second half mission and Rovers survived a scare when Palmer went down in the box under a David Davis challenge but the referee waved play on.


Alas there was to be no respite and Wednesday made it 5-0 on 56 minutes. Tyreeq Bakinson delivered a pearl of a cross that had to be negotiated but Bernard could only direct the ball into his own net from close range.

That knocking any stuffing from Rovers they had left and the tempo understandably subsided as the second half wore on.

The Owls made a triple substitution, handing a debut to Mallik Wilks, who was denied a dream start by the acrobatics of McGee right at the last.

The points were long since decided and overall this was a clear statement of intent from Wednesday as the impressive start to the season continues.

Wednesday: Stockdale, Palmer, Iorfa, Ihiekwe, McGuinness, Byers, Bannan (Adeniran 68), Bakinson (Vaulks 80), Johnson (Brown 83), Windass (Wilks 68), Gregory (Paterson 68)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account