Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Exeter 1-1 Wednesday

10 December 2022

Wednesday were heading for a bitter double blow on a freezing afternoon at Exeter before substitute Callum Paterson rescued a stoppage-time point.

Jake Caprice gave the Grecians a lead they held onto right until the death before Paterson popped up to salvage a share of the spoils.

But prior to the late drama, and just half-an-hour in, Barry Bannan limped out of the action and Darren Moore will face an anxious wait for a prognosis on his influential captain.

In the final analysis, Exeter will probably feel hard done by having been denied the win but Wednesday have displayed a sterner side this season and obliged once again to stay on the promotion trail.


The Owls began well enough - Josh Windass sent an early sighter on goal from a set piece that Jamal Blackman did well to keep out at his near post - before the hosts grew into the game.

Mark McGuinness came to Wednesday’s rescue, hoofing off the line from a goalmouth scramble, as Exeter began to make their mark.

But from nowhere, the Owls fashioned a clear opening as Exeter’s defence was caught cold from a deep free kick.


Bannan picked out Windass advancing into the box and again Blackman came out on top, deflecting the first time shot wide.

That proved Bannan’s last involvement as the skipper was forced off through injury moments later and his replacement, Tyreeq Bakinson, came close to an instant impact.

Bakinson created space just outside the penalty area with a rampaging run and Blackman was relieved to see a fierce hit just evade the target.


The first half ended with McGuinness heading a Windass corner narrowly over and in terms of chances, if not possession, the Owls had the edge.

But the pendulum swung the way of the home side 10 minutes into the second half.

Caprice picked up a loose ball 25 yards out and unleashed a whistling drive that went in off the far post past the diving David Stockdale.    


The breakthrough gave the Grecians belief and they certainly looked favourites to hold onto the points as the second period progressed.

Wednesday threw on forward trio Lee Gregory, Mallik Wilks and Paterson but to little avail and if there was to be another goal, it seemed it would go in Exeter’s favour.

And with 12 minutes to go, a second almost came. Stockdale’s clearance fell at the feet of Jay Stansfield, whose snapshot was goalbound but the Owls’ keeper redeemed himself with a super save.


Liam Palmer fell to the floor late on under a challenge from Caprice in the box but the penalty appeals were denied to sum up what appeared to be an all-round day to forget.

But with effectively the last kick of the contest, Gregory chested a long ball into the path of Paterson, who needed no second invitation to slot low past Blackman and extend the Owls’ unbeaten run to nine games.                                          

Wednesday: Stockdale, Iorfa, Palmer, McGuinness, James, Vaulks (Gregory 64), Dele-Bashiru, Bannan (Bakinson 35), Johnson, Windass (Wilks 77), Smith (Paterson 77)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account