Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 3-3 Portsmouth

30 July 2022

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 3-3 Portsmouth

30 July 2022

Ten-man Wednesday kicked off the new campaign with a ding dong curtain-raiser against Portsmouth that ended 3-3 at Hillsborough.

The Owls were cruising at the break thanks to an early Marvin Johnson goal and dominant display.

But Pompey hit back just after the resumption, equalising through Connor Ogilvie.

Wednesday, though, delivered a sucker punch as Fisayo Dele-Bashiru restored the advantage moments later.

That served only for Portsmouth to suddenly go through the gears as goals from Michael Jacobs and Colby Bishop put the visitors in the driving seat.

But the Owls were far from finished and Dele-Bashiru netted an unstoppable shot from distance to conclude a breathless encounter.

The atmosphere was electric, the conditions perfect – with a start to match for Wednesday.

Eight minutes in, Barry Bannan delivered a trademark angled throughball into the path of Josh Windass, who fired hard and low across the six-yard box for Johnson to slam home at the far post.


Bannan simply carried on where he left off last season, dictating play from the engine room as Wednesday controlled the first period.

For extended periods, Pompey were pinned in their own half, unable to stem the wave of forward play from the Owls.

The dangerous Dele Bashiru went close, so too did Lee Gregory - later to see red - and Windass, and the visitors surely welcomed the half time whistle.

Danny Cowley’s side needed a boost for the second period but few expected the drama about to unfold.

Five minutes in, Marlon Pack raced to the byline, cut inside and clipped a nicely flighted ball for Ogilvie to head into the top corner.

But the celebrations were cut short as the Owls regained the lead just a minute after the restart.

Little seemed on for Dele-Bashiru when he took possession 30 yards out but the midfielder advanced to unleash a whistling hit that flew into the Kop net.

It was exactly what Wednesday needed but the opposite for Portsmouth. Having forged a route back into the contest they immediately lost their grip – but then recovered in a flash.

On 57 minutes, Pack was again the architect down the right and David Stockdale brushed Bishop’s header onto the bar. But the ball fell kindly to Jacobs almost on the goal line, the task to finish was simple, and Pompey were level for the second time.

Incredibly, six minutes later, the South Coast side were in front. Again it was Pack down the flank, again a towering header, this time from Colby, and the pendulum had swung the way of the visitors.

Wednesday responded with Bannan forcing Griffiths into a low save before the Pompey keeper impressively thwarted Jack Hunt.

But Griffiths could do nothing to keep out Dele-Bashiru nine minutes from time. Right on the edge of the box on the angle, the exciting young Owls talent smashed an unstoppable effort home that gave Griffiths no chance and the hosts a deserved share of the spoils.


Still there was time for another twist to cap a dramatic opening day as Gregory was dismissed for a second bookable offence in stoppage time that will see the striker miss the trip to MK Dons next Saturday.

Wednesday: Stockdale, Hunt, Iorfa, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, Johnson, Byers (Smith 71), Bannan, Dele-Bashiru (Vaulks 90), Windass, Gregory (S/O 90)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account