Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 5-2 Burton

1 March 2022

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 5-2 Burton

1 March 2022

Dominant Wednesday were given a scare by Burton but recovered to continue their impressive drive for promotion.

The Owls were cruising with a 2-0 lead through Liam Palmer and Barry Bannan only for Adlene Guedioura and Oumar Niasse to strike completely against the run of play.

Darren Moore’s men were undaunted, though, and hit back to run out comfortable winners as first Callum Paterson and then Marvin Johnson put the contest to bed.

Then, right at the last, the irrepressible Bannan provided the final coating of gloss with the goal of the game.


The Owls flew out of the traps and almost registered just three minutes in. Palmer whipped an inviting ball right across the face of goal and keeper Ben Garratt foiled Johnson well at the back post.

Garrett was even more impressive from Wednesday’s next attack, acrobatically tipping a Bannan hit on to the frame of the goal.

Jordan Storey was next up, heading a Jack Hunt feed over the top as the Owls sought the breakthrough, which inevitably arrived on 13 minutes.

Johnson delivered an exquisite cross from the left that fizzed to the back stick, where Palmer was on hand to notch his maiden league goal of the season.


And there was no respite for the overwhelmed visitors, who went 2-0 down on 29 minutes.

A Palmer cross was cleared only to the lurking figure of Bannan on the edge of the area and after taking control, the skipper saw his whistling drive go in off the post.

But only a minute later, Burton reduced the deficit from their first burst upfield. A bouncing ball landed nicely in the ‘D’ for Guedioura, who slammed into the middle of the Kop net with the aid of a deflection.

Bannan almost restored the two-goal cushion from range before Wednesday were stunned by a second sucker punch eight minutes into the second half.


After soaking up yet more pressure, the Brewers broke and Niasse jinked his way into the box and cleverly clipped past Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Back came Wednesday and Lewis Gibson was inches off target as Burton retreated. And on 67 minutes the visitors’ resistance broke and they were behind once more.

Bannan executed an accurate corner into the danger zone and Paterson was in the right place at the right time to stab home.

The Owls were hungry for more and substitute Saido Berahino turned his marker only to shoot too high but Johnson made no mistake on 75 minutes.


Another Bannan corner caused panic in the Burton defence and Johnson took full advantage, firing an unstoppable half volley past the helpless Garratt from just outside the area.

By this point it was clear the Owls were gaining ground towards the summit and the feelgood factor was extended with the return of Dominic Iorfa from the bench.

And to cap what turned out to be a conclusive night’s work, Bannan saved the best until last, aiming a delicious curling shot from all of 25 yards out of Garratt’s reach and into the top corner with three minutes to go.

Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell, Hunt, Palmer, Storey, Gibson (Iorfa 84), Johnson, Hutchinson, Luongo (Brennan 90), Bannan, Paterson, Sow (Berahino 60)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account