Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 2-0 Morecambe

4 November 2022

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 2-0 Morecambe

4 November 2022

Wednesday advanced into the second round of the Emirates FA Cup courtesy of a comfortable 2-0 win over Morecambe at Hillsborough.

The Owls had too much on the night for the Lancashire side, who spent the lion’s share of the tie pinned inside their own half.

A super strike from Josh Windass separated the teams at half time but in truth it could have been more as the Shrimpers were carved open at will.


Alex Mighten, lively throughout, opened his S6 account in the second half to give a scoreline more reflective of the game.

A snapshot on the counter from Dylan Connelly aside, that David Stockdale comfortably gathered, it was Wednesday who dictated the pattern of play from the outset.

They almost made it pay just 12 minutes in when Windass stood up an inviting cross for Michael Smith, whose glancing header whistled the wrong side of the post.


The Owls went closer still following further bouts of pressure. Jack Hunt played a neat give and go on the edge of the box with Will Vaulks and his deflected shot crashed against the outside of the woodwork.

Smith was next to try his luck with another header, this time from a Tyreeq Bakinson cross, with a similar outcome to his earlier effort.

But a goal was in the air and duly arrived on 29 minutes. Windass took possession down the left channel and cut inside to execute an unstoppable curler that nestled in the top corner.

Wednesday, though, had to be on their guard as Morecambe hit straight back from the restart. Jensen Weir motored forward and struck a firm shot from distance that warmed the gloves of Stockdale.


But the cup-tie quickly reverted to type with Wednesday in the driving seat and only a smart Connor Ripley save moments before the break from Mighten kept the score at 1-0.

The theme continued in the second period and Mighten was unfortunate to miss out on a wonder goal.

The Nottingham Forest loanee slalomed his way into the penalty area, evading three defenders, only for a wayward finish to belie the approach.

Moments later Smith forced a flying save from Ripley before Morecambe had their best spell of the game.

A mix-up in the Owls’ backline saw the ball land kindly to substitute Kieran Phillips, whose audacious chip was goal-bound but for a headed clearance from the backtracking Dominic Iorfa.


Weir then unleashed from distance and Stockdale leapt across his goal to tip past the post.

Back came Wednesday and Reece James skied over the bar after intelligent play from Smith and a Mighten effort on the angle flew just wide.

But Mighten would get his reward for a thoroughly impressive performance with a goal that effectively put the match to bed on 65 minutes.

The tricky wideman pounced on a short Ryan Cooney backpass to slide beneath the advancing Ripley and seal Wednesday’s inclusion in the second round draw.

Wednesday: Stockdale, Hunt (Ihiekwe 70), Iorfa, McGuinness, Vaulks, Bakinson, Wilks (Paterson 80), Windass (Dele-Bashiru 70), Mighten, James (Johnson 70), Smith


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account