Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Owls hit back in academy thriller

16 October 2022

Match Reports

Owls hit back in academy thriller

16 October 2022

Josh Chapman's glancing header rescued a point as the Owls shared a thrilling 2-2 draw with Hull at Middlewood Road.

The game was dominated by Wednesday who created the majority of chances but, against the run of play, were 2-0 down at half time.

Andy Holdsworth’s side, though, showed their fighting spirit to mount a rousing comeback and were ultimately unlucky not to take all three points.

Rocco Coyle's curling free-kick and a Sam Opolan strike gave the visitors a two-goal lead at the break.

But goals from a trialist and Chapman secured a share of the spoils for Wednesday.

The game started slowly with both teams trying to impose themselves and the first chance fell to City’s Glen Salli whose long-range shot flew past Jack Phillips' post.

Wednesday's first opening soon followed, a clearance from Se Sean Lutumba sprung a counter from which Joey Phuthi shrugged off an Anthony Onoh challenge and sent the trialist through but his shot was well saved by George Wilson.

However, the Tigers were the first to pounce on 23 minutes, a set piece on the edge of the box superbly converted by Coyle to open the scoring.

The Owls came flying back into the game, the trialist was gifted a chance from Stan Ashbee’s misplaced pass and fired just over from 18 yards.

Wednesday finished the first half well, Phuthi dispossessed Keegan Green and forced a fine save from Wilson and Kamil Maciag's header on the rebound hit the crossbar.

The Owls would regret missing their chances as eight minutes into the second half a quick one-two between Salli and Mason Johnson drew a foul from Chapman to give Hull a penalty.

Phillips brilliantly saved Opolan's spot-kick but could only watch agonisingly as the second ball was dispatched by the same player to make it 2-0.

Wednesday rallied and after a period of pressure halved the arrears on 68 minutes. Jarvis Thornton's tidy pass set up the trialist on the edge of the box where his curling shot found the top corner to give the Owls a lifeline.

The contest had become a one-sided affair with opportunities coming thick and fast for the hosts.

The galvanised Lutumba floated a cross to the back post that found the onrushing Carlos Rodrigues, whose header was comfortably saved by Wilson.

Bruno Fernandes came off the bench to execute a fine through-ball to Rodrigues and his wicked goal-bound shot was bravely blocked by Archie Cooper.

But the Owls eventually found their breakthrough to deservedly draw level with nine minutes to go. A floated ball into the box by Thornton found the head of Chapman, whose powerful header beat Wilson.

With the contest level, Wednesday went in search of a winner and almost got it. A surging run from Rodrigues ended with a cut back for Thornton and the midfielder’s thunderous strike took a vital deflection off Onoh to crash against the frame of the goal.

Still there was time for one last chance – a swift passing movement between substitutes Dom Weston and Fernandes created a one-on-one for Phuthi but Wilson was equal to the low drive.

Wednesday: Phillips, Rodrigues, Lutumba, Maltby, Chapman, Flannery, Thornton, Tolpudzai, Fernandes (Maciad 69), Trailist (Weston 85), Phuthi


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account