Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 1-0 Plymouth

4 February 2023

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 1-0 Plymouth

4 February 2023

Wednesday climbed to the summit of League One for the first time of the season, beating Plymouth 1-0 in a tense top of the table clash at Hillsborough.

Callum Paterson’s early strike decided a relatively even affair as the two promotion contenders went toe-to-toe.

George Byers saw a second half goal disallowed but it mattered not as the Owls leapfrogged the Pilgrims and extended their run of resistance to 22 games.

It was the ideal start for the hosts, who hit the front seven minutes in. Will Vaulks crossed low from the right and Paterson was on hand to sweep home from 12 yards on the angle.


Wednesday deserved nothing less after taking the game to the Pilgrims from the first whistle.
Dominant in midfield and dangerous going forward, Darren Moore’s men played on the front foot.

Michael Cooper saved his side from a two-goal deficit, springing down to his left to deny new recruit Aden Flint from close range.

That, though, proved Cooper’s last contribution. Right on the half-hour mark, the keeper fell awkwardly from an aerial tussle and after lengthy treatment limped out of the action.


Things did improve for Argyle in the remainder of the first half as they began to play through the thirds but Cameron Dawson stayed untroubled.

But the visitors were back under the cosh from the resumption, Liam Palmer caused a real scare as his cross-cum-shot grazed deputy keeper Callum Burton’s near post.

Wednesday were then dealt a blow of their own when Paterson went to ground unchallenged and was replaced by Jack Hunt.

Ryan Hardie might have done better with a rising volley after finding room in the box and likewise Marvin Johnson at the other end in almost identical fashion moments later.


Back came Plymouth and Bali Mumba went close with a daisycutter that whistled past the post.

Wednesday made a double change midway through the second half, introducing Mallik Wilks and Lee Gregory up top.

And the impact was immediate as Wilks pulled back cleverly for Byers to slot into the Kop net only for the assistant referee’s raised flag to cut short the celebrations.

That was the foundation for a final flourish from Plymouth and Sam Cosgrove brushed the top of the net with a fierce drive from 25 yards.

But Wednesday held firm and ended an enthralling afternoon in the box seat – both in this game and the division.

Wednesday: Dawson, Paterson (Hunt 55), Iorfa, Flint, Palmer, Johnson, Vaulks, Bannan (Adeniran 86), Byers, Windass (Wilks 73), Smith (Gregory 73)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account