Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 5-2 MK Dons

18 February 2023

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 5-2 MK Dons

18 February 2023

Wednesday climbed back to the summit of League One after twice coming from behind to beat MK Dons 5-2 at Hillsborough.

Jonathan Leko gave MK an early lead before Josh Windass promptly equalised.

The visitors restored their advantage through Mohamed Eisa, only to be pegged back again by a Michael Smith penalty.


But Wednesday would have the final say of a ding-dong contest, turning the screw in the closing stages to seal victory.

Lee Gregory climbed off the bench to put his side into the lead for the first time, before Smith struck his second and George Byers added a fifth at the last.

Just as the Owls were off to a flyer in midweek against Morecambe, the Dons did likewise here.

Inside two minutes, Leko advanced from midfield and unleashed a ferocious drive that whistled into the top corner.

Wednesday’s response was positive, though, and we were level just six minutes later.

Windass curled a set piece near enough the goal to have Jamie Cumming concerned and moments later, the in-form striker went one better to restore parity.


The returning Reece James delivered a high ball over the top and Windass showed poise to take from the sky before delicately lofting over Cumming.

The Owls had the upper hand, pushing for a second, but were stunned on 24 minutes when the visitors scored from their next attack.

A loose ball at the back was picked up by Eisa and the forward powered across the edge of the area before slotting into the back of the Kop net.

The remainder of the first half saw relentless Wednesday pressure, with the Dons pinned into defensive territory.

A flurry of corners bore no profit although Liam Palmer went mightily close, his effort from 12 yards crucially deflected onto the top of the crossbar by Zak Jules.

There was little respite for MK after the restart. Smith sent a snapshot just off target following a mini scramble – before the big man made no mistake from the spot on 54 minutes.

Jules was adjudged to have handled in the box and Smith’s penalty was emphatic, giving Cumming no chance.


Wednesday could sense victory and made a double change on the hour, Gregory and Dennis Adeniran thrust into the action. And both had the desired impact.

Gregory fired his vital goal just three minutes after coming on. Smith’s glancing header was going wide but Marvin Johnson kept the ball in and teed up Gregory, who slotted into an empty net with Cumming stranded.

The Dons were forced upfield and Palmer made a terrific block to thwart Leko, which proved key as Wednesday headed the other way and made the game safe on 74 minutes.

Palmer was influential again, driving through the thirds to find Adeniran, whose cross eventually landed with Smith and the latter’s shot flew off the unfortunate Jules to loop over Cummings and in.

Still there was time for a fifth goal, with Johnson the provider once more, driving down the left to pick out Byers, who headed home to confirm Wednesday’s return to the top.

Wednesday: Dawson, Hunt (Adeniran 61), Palmer, Iorfa, James, Johnson, Vaulks (Gregory 61), Byers, Bannan (Dele-Bashiru 77), Windass, Smith (Bakinson 90)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account