Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Barnsley 4-2 Wednesday

21 March 2023

Match Reports

Report | Barnsley 4-2 Wednesday

21 March 2023

Wednesday’s 23-game unbeaten run finally came to an end as Barnsley took the bragging rights at Oakwell.

The Tykes emerged with a 4-2 win from a game that could have gone either way.

Devante Cole and James Norwood gave the home side the perfect start to put Wednesday on the back foot but Darren Moore’s men battled back to 2-2, courtesy of a Lee Gregory brace.

Substitute Max Watters restored the lead towards the end of a pulsating derby duel before Liam Kitching gave the scoreline something of a flattering look deep into stoppage time with Wednesday hunting a share of the spoils.


After a typically cagey opening, Barnsley broke ranks and dealt a double blow, scoring two quickfire goals.

On 10 minutes, Cole darted clear down the left angle of the box and slid beneath Cameron Dawson to light the Oakwell touch paper.

Straight from kick-off, the white hot atmosphere went up another notch when Norwood advanced across the 18-yard line and unleashed a whistling drive right into the bottom corner.

The shellshocked Owls regrouped and from the half-hour mark of a thrilling first half, it was Barnsley who found themselves under the cosh.


Dominic Iorfa headed a Barry Bannan free kick over the top and on 32 minutes, Wednesday went one better and halved the deficit.

Will Vaulks sprayed a superb ball down the right channel for Michael Smith, who advanced to look up and pick out Gregory to net from close range.

The Reds sought a way out from the pressure and Dawson flung himself to his left to keep out a firm Norwood header.

Wednesday wrestled back control. Aden Flint was off target from Marvin Johnson’s feed before, with half time looming, Harry Isted made the save of the game to preserve the hosts’ advantage.


After Gregory and Dennis Adeniran both had shots charged down, Bannan delivered an unplayable cross that Smith was favourite to finish only for Isted to produce a stunning reflex stop to deny the big striker.

The frantic pace stayed the same after the break and the Owls had the edge, prodding and probing for an equaliser.

There were half chances at both ends – Smith for Wednesday and Norwood’s last act before being substituted.

Wednesday ramped up the dominance, winning a succession of corners, but Barnsley stood firm, relying on counters to stem the flow.


But on 74 minutes the pressure told and the Owls deservedly levelled.

Bannan was central once more, swinging deep to Johnson, who crossed low and hard for Gregory to gobble up at the back post.

The pendulum was with Wednesday, Liam Palmer was inches off target with a speculative half volley and Flint skewed wide from Bannan’s set piece.

But just as Wednesday looked odds-on to nick a winner, Barnsley went back into the lead against the run of play.


A mini scramble in the area saw the ball land kindly to Watters, who smashed high past Dawson to threaten the Owls run of resistance.

And with Wednesday pressing forward for another leveller, the Reds countered and Kitching finished Luke Thomas’ cross to complete the deed.

Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Iorfa, Flint, Famewo, Johnson, Vaulks, Bannan, Adeniran (Dele-Bashiru 66), Smith, Gregory

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account