Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Blackburn 1-3 Wednesday

21 April 2024

Match Reports

Report | Blackburn 1-3 Wednesday

21 April 2024

The Owls secured a priceless win at Blackburn and left the relegation zone for the first time since August.

It was a huge basement battle at Ewood Park and gives Wednesday a real chance of securing survival.

At the same time, Rovers are now hauled back into trouble with two games left to play.

Josh Windass was first to show with a stunning early goal before leading Championship marksman Sammie Szmodics equalised.

Marvin Johnson restored the advantage, then a bizarre own goal from goalkeeper Aynsley Pears sealed a vital victory.


With so much on the line, the smart money was on a cagey start – and it was anything but with both teams scoring inside 10 minutes.

Pears charged from his goal six minutes in, Iké Ugbo pounced on some loose defending and Windass executed a delicious looping chip from all of 30 yards to give the Owls the ideal start.

But it was short-lived as just three minutes later, Blackburn levelled.

Hayden Carter sent dangerman Szmodics scampering into the box and the finish, as expected, was unerring across Beadle into the bottom corner.


The crunch contest then calmed into an even affair before the break, with few chances at either end, the best of which fell Wednesday’s way.

After a swift counter down the right, Anthony Musaba delivered an inviting cross into the heart of the danger zone and only a last-ditch touch from Callum Brittain prevented a Windass tap-in at the back post.

Then Johnson teed up Liam Palmer on the edge of the box but the accuracy of the shot belied the power as the ball sailed over the top.

Almost on the whistle, Szmodics looked to double his tally after breaking the lines again down the right but was thwarted this time by Bambo Diaby.

The Owls came out with intent for the second half and regained the lead just before the hour.

Ugbo found Musaba down the right and the Dutchman looked up to pick out the onrushing Johnson, who slammed adeptly past Pears to send the 7,000+ travelling Wednesdayites into delirium.


Then, on 64 minutes, the Owls extended their lead in remarkable circumstances.

There was no danger at the back when Hyam rolled a gentle pass back to Pears, who miskicked and could only watch in horror as the ball span out of control and bounced into the empty net.

Rovers might have halved the deficit when that man Szmodics found space but could only clear the crossbar from close range.

The Owls made a triple change with 10 minutes remaining to manage the game out, with attacking trio Callum Paterson, Michael Smith and Djeidi Gassama all coming on from the bench.

And despite Blackburn sending numbers forward in a bid to salvage something from a crucial clash, Wednesday’s rearguard was never under threat and a grandstand finish to the season beckons in S6.

Wednesday: Beadle, Valentin, Palmer, Ihiekwe (B Diaby 16, Iorfa 56)), Famewo, Johnson, Vaulks, Bannan, Musaba (Paterson 79), Windass (Gassama 79), Ugbo (Smith 79)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account