Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Wednesday 2-2 Norwich

9 April 2024

Match Reports

Report | Wednesday 2-2 Norwich

9 April 2024

Wednesday staged a stunning second half comeback against Norwich to ignite their survival hopes.

Trailing 2-0 at half time to early goals from Josh Sargent and Borja Sainz, the Owls were out of sorts and seemingly heading for defeat.

But after Danny Röhl made four changes at the break, the hosts were rejuvenated and late goals from Michael Ihiekwe and Michael Smith rescued an unlikely point.

Rewind to the start, though, and it was a different story. After Dominic Iorfa was off target from a Josh Windass cross, the Canaries took control and a measured first half performance put them in the ascendancy.


James Beadle beat out a Marcelino Nunez hit, Sargent fired the rebound over but made no mistake as Norwich took the lead on 10 minutes.

A long throw was flicked on by Ashley Barnes into the path of Sargent, who slammed home from close range.

The visitors immediately sought a second and Beadle went down low to keep out Sainz at his near post.

But the Canaries did double their lead on 15 minutes. Beadle’s pass was snapped up by Nunez, who fed Sainz and the finish was unerring on the angle.

Wednesday did their best to regroup but Norwich continued to threaten and it might have been 3-0 before the break as Nunez was a whisker wide from distance.


Röhl's changes at the interval made all the difference. Kristian Pedersen, Pol Valentin, Will Vaulks and Callum Paterson all came on from the bench and the atmosphere amplified.

Bannan had a long-ranger gobbled up by Angus Gunn but the next chance fell to Norwich on the break.

Jack Stacey advanced on goal on the overlap, cut inside, but Beadle was swiftly off his line to deal with the danger.

The Owls threw men forward, with Norwich content to play on the break, and they should have put the game to bed on 70 minutes.

Gabriel Sara went one-on-one with Beadle but placed his low shot the wrong side of the post.


Wednesday’s had a big chance two minutes later as Paterson burst through the middle only for the advancing Gunn to smother.

But the Owls then brought the house down with two late goals to stun the play-off hopefuls. With 12 minutes to go, Vaulks swung over a deep corner met by Ihiekwe, who headed his first goal in SWFC colours.

Wednesday’s tails were up, the crowd sensed an equaliser, which was duly delivered five minutes from time.

It was an almost identical set piece from Vaulks and this time Smith climbed the highest to breathe new life into the Owls’ battle against the drop.

Wednesday: Beadle, Iorfa, Ihiekwe, B Diaby (Paterson 46), Famewo, Palmer (Vaulks 46), Bannan, Windass (Pedersen 46), Musaba (Cadamarteri 76), Gassama (Valentin 46), Smith

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account