Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Wednesday 2-1 Bristol City

24 February 2024

Match Reports

Report | Wednesday 2-1 Bristol City

24 February 2024

Iké Ugbo continued his red-hot streak in front of goal to give 10-man Wednesday a vital victory over Bristol City.

Ugbo opened the scoring but the Owls were promptly pegged back by Jason Knight.

But Ugbo reclaimed centre stage, striking his second goal to take his tally to five in blue and white since signing in the January transfer window.

Wednesday had to close out the contest on the back foot when Di’Shon Bernard was sent off for a second bookable offence.

But this they did to provide another boost in the battle against the drop.

City were first to show when James Beadle had to beat out an angled shot from Knight – before Wednesday hit the front from their first attack on 16 minutes.


Pol Valentin linked up well with Liam Palmer down the right and the latter fed Ugbo, who turned to expertly fire past Max O’Leary from 12 yards.

But the advantage didn’t last long – just eight minutes to be precise. Taylor Gardner-Hickman delivered an inviting corner from which Knight climbed high to send a looping header into the top corner.

That sent the Owls out of kilter briefly until the remainder of the first unraveled in their favour.

Ian Poveda was a constant threat and the tricky wideman was central to Wednesday regaining the lead four minutes before the break.

The Colombian jinked to the byline, sent in a teasing cross only half cleared to Marvin Johnson, whose return feed was instinctively nodded home by Ugbo.

The Robins made two changes for the second half and dominated the ball for long periods without threatening an equaliser.


The Owls, though, looked dangerous on the counter which almost brought a hat-trick for Ugbo after terrific work from Anthony Musaba down the left flank.

George Tanner got the crucial block but the City defence was caught on its heels when Valentin burst into the box but shot just wide of the far post.

Wednesday were reduced to 10 men in the closing stages when Bernard saw an earlier yellow card upgraded to red following a challenge on Tommy Conway.

That gave the visitors the chance to pour numbers forward in pursuit of a second leveller but it was the Owls who had the best chance in stoppage time when substitute Michael Smith went one-on-one with O’Leary only for the keeper to come out on top.

Moments later it was all over and despite results elsewhere being far from favourable, Wednesday did their job and made it three wins from four.

Wednesday: Beadle, Valentin (Iorfa 84), Ihiekwe, Bernard (S/O 79), Johnson, Palmer, Vaulks, Bannan, Poveda (Gassama 84), Musaba (Diaby 79), Ugbo (Smith 84)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account